Welcome to the Science of Sport, where we bring you the second, third, and fourth level of analysis you will not find anywhere else.

Be it doping in sport, hot topics like Caster Semenya or Oscar Pistorius, or the dehydration myth, we try to translate the science behind sports and sports performance.

Consider a donation if you like what you see here!


Did you know?
We published The Runner's Body in May 2009. With an average 4.4/5 stars on Amazon.com, it has been receiving positive reviews from runners and non-runners alike.

Available for the Kindle and also in the traditional paper back. It will make a great gift for the runners you know, and helps support our work here on The Science of Sport.



Friday, October 02, 2009

Rio 2016

Rio 2016 continued

Just wanted to make a late addition to my earlier post, and thank Lauter for pointing it out. I'd said that I couldn't think of a city that had hosted two huge sporting events in the same cycle, and Lauter promptly pointed out that Mexico City in 1968/1970 and Munich in 1972/1974 had done the 'double'. In both cases, they hosted the Games and then the FIFA World Cup. Rio gets to do it in the opposite order, hosting first FIFA and then the IOC.

So thanks for the correction - Lauter took time off celebrating, since he lives in Rio himself! My cognitive function must be fading! I could list the Olympic venues and the FIFA venues, but the lists didn't seem to overlap! Clearly, I need that US-holiday!

Well done again Rio!

Ross

4 Comments:

Anonymous said...

The USA hosted World Cup '94 followed by the Atlanta Olympics in '96.

Candy Collins said...

Wow! Rio de Janeiro will host the 2016 Olympic Games! I'd like to go there despite Chicago is much closer to me. :o)

Unknown said...

Hi Ross, I came across this article and wondered if you had anything to add?

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/more-sports/drunks-break-up-semanya-meeting/story-e6frey6i-1225783069849

Rob

Ross Tucker and Jonathan Dugas said...

Hi Rob

Thanks for the link. I read that article last night, actually. There are a couple of inaccuracies there - for one, only Nedbank has pulled out, Yellow Pages actually resigned just before the World Champs. I bet that is a decision they are now regretting, because ASA are, to be blunt, an 'unsponsorable commodity".

It's such a farce now that I can't see how the sport can survive unless there is dramatic change. That's what the athletes want, but as the article points out, there is a strong enough political faction that the athletes are silenced.

For how long? I don't know. It cannot continue this way and I feel that eventually ASA will unravel. But in this country, things have gone a little quiet. I saw footage of this incident on our TV news, and it was pretty embarrassing (again). I was about to post, but decided against it, because this thing has just been drawn out so much now, that I fear people are sick of it. I know I am!

Very embarrassing times for SA sport. And worrying, because like I said, no one would want to sponsor this. I hope people get what is coming to them...and that the athletes don't get it instead!

Ross